Oil prices may have dropped, but Kuwait is investing heavily in the hydrocarbons sector this year in a bid to meet an ambitious production target. James King reports.
Latest articles from Commodities & Energy
US shale production has significantly altered the landscape of the global energy market. Ahead of the Institute of International Finance's annual spring meeting in Qatar, James King looks at how OPEC is responding to this seismic shift.
The financial crisis hit the Caribbean hard, with the region only recently starting to recover. Now that the worst is over, the president of the Caribbean Development Bank is looking to build a more sustainable future, encouraging projects that minimise the effects of natural disasters and develop the region's renewable energy potential.
A regulatory over-reaction to allegations of gold market manipulation could deal a fatal blow to the commodities trading desks of investment banks that are already in retreat.
The swathe of new reforms being proposed by Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto have the potential to open up new avenues of business for the country's banks, both large and small.
Ahead of the annual Sibos conference, The Banker’s editor Brian Caplen discusses the event’s agenda with Swift’s chief executive Gottfried Leibbrandt. They consider the impact of inbound regulations, the rise of new technologies, the big data challenge, emerging market growth and the wider economic picture.
Africa’s agricultural sector may still be underdeveloped, but it is growing as investors increasingly seek to exploit local and regional sources of demand and develop the continent’s processing capacity. A greater provision of banking services is also helping.
The reauthorisation of the US regulator should be a formality, but the combination of Dodd-Frank implementation and the MF Global failure have made for a deeper discussion of the agency’s future.
Global Risk Regulator
Most popular content
- The Banker Top 1000 World Banks 2015 ranking WORLD Press: IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- No rest for banks as fintech challenges loom large
- The bond bubble risk of cheaper corporate borrowing
- Top 1000 World Banks – Japanese banks struggle to grow in tough environment
- Bankers at a loss over IFRS9 provisioning rule
Most popular videos
- US interest rates
- Top 1000 World Bank 2015 results
- Interview with Erik Zingmark, deputy head of transaction products, Nordea - EuroFinance 2015 Copenhagen
- Chapter 1: The role of financial services in the UK economy
- Pre-IMF interview with Jean-Francois Tremblay, associate managing director, Moody's - View from IMF 2015