Brokers are outsourcing their dealing desks to other sell-side firms. Dan Barnes investigates what is left of a broker that does not trade.
Latest articles from Securities services
Once regarded as national treasures, over the past few years many exchanges have been evolving into cross-border operations, focused on capturing larger market shares. Following this wave of consolidation and collaboration, however, it still remains to be seen whether bigger really means better.
A single platform for securities settlement in Europe and the continued growth of e-commerce will soon out-date the market infrastructures as they exist. Frances Faulds looks at how market infrastructures are reinventing themselves and redesigning their services to remain relevant.
Ahead of Sibos 2013, The Banker's technology editor, Duygu Tavan, talks about the difficulties in implementing the Target2-Securities regulation and discusses the recent developments in corporate bank messaging.
As their global operating models evolve, what do investment managers need from their service providers and what can they do to help themselves?
Much work has been done to standardise and automate fund processing, with several commercial solutions available, but the cost of processing fund transactions is still significantly higher than for bonds or equities and this is hampering critical mass. Is a more centralised market infrastructure needed to tackle processing costs? Writer Frances Maguire
An unprecedented overhaul of the securities industry is taking place under politically mandated reform. This is forcing markets and regulators to work more closely together to ensure that there is no repeat of the recent financial crisis. Writer Frances Maguire
New legislation for over-the-counter derivatives from the European Commission next year will include a central counterparty directive. But what are the implications of the new law? Writer Frances Maguire
Global Risk Regulator
Most popular content
- The Banker Top 1000 World Banks 2015 ranking WORLD Press: IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- No rest for banks as fintech challenges loom large
- The bond bubble risk of cheaper corporate borrowing
- Top 1000 World Banks – Japanese banks struggle to grow in tough environment
- Bankers at a loss over IFRS9 provisioning rule
Most popular videos
- US interest rates
- Top 1000 World Bank 2015 results
- Interview with Erik Zingmark, deputy head of transaction products, Nordea - EuroFinance 2015 Copenhagen
- Chapter 1: The role of financial services in the UK economy
- Pre-IMF interview with Jean-Francois Tremblay, associate managing director, Moody's - View from IMF 2015