In Nigeria, ousted central bank governor Lamido Sanusi is under scrutiny. However, on an international level, it is the government that should be worrying about its reputation.
Lower growth in Latin America and a lack of reforms in areas such as education, infrastructure and taxation are not inviting propositions, but the region still shows some areas of great promise in 2014.
Over the past two years banks have been hit by a huge wave of litigation relating to residential mortgages, interbank rates, consumer insurance and money laundering. Though lenders have largely managed to absorb the costs fairly easily, it seems that the regulators are not quite finished when it comes to dishing out fines.
EU accession was meant to bolster Croatia’s economic prospects, but it is yet to have a positive effect on the country's flagging economy. Meanwhile, its banks are facing poor asset quality and a difficult operating environment.
The new 'grand coalition' of conservatives and socialists in Germany may have a huge majority in the Bundestag, but there are already disagreements over the extent of national powers in the functioning of the eurozone banking union.
The Court of Justice of the EU's rejection of British attempts to appeal against a European short-selling ban could signal a new degree of harmonisation on financial regulation.
The European Commission's proposed update to the Payment Services Directive will allow third parties to penetrate banks' security firewalls, which is leaving banks understandably nervous.
Another day, another huge fine for banks. But is it justified?
Most popular content
Most popular video
- Interview with Zoran Stavreski, minister of finance, Republic of Macedonia
- Europe's banking regulation and supervision: a brighter 2014?
- Chapter 1 of 4: Internationalisation of the renminbi; Trade and payments
- Interview with Luis Videgaray, minister of finance, Mexico
- Chapter 1 of 4: Managing intraday liquidity in a changing regulatory environment; Dodd-Frank, EMIR and Basel III – what they mean for liquidity managers