Born out of social innovation in the 19th century, Europe's co-operative banking model is now struggling to stay relevant in an increasingly globalised, technology-driven and heavily regulated banking market. Silvia Pavoni looks into ways the model can stay afloat.
The banking licences being granted to private companies in China look set to shake up the country's financial sector, with its 'big four' lenders coming under pressure from tech-savvy newcomers with a strong customer network, such as Alibaba and Tencent.
An enhanced regulatory discipline recalibrated almost two years ago, conduct risk has served as a point of confusion for firms due to the lack of prescriptive guidelines provided by the regulator. However, this is no excuse for ignoring the issue.
Proposals for the mandatory buy-in of securities if trades fail to settle could drive market-makers out of the market.
A combination of new political strategies at home and abroad, evolving trade routes and weak oil prices are creating a new environment for Latin America. The Banker asked a group of influential economists how the future will look for the region.
Secondments would provide regulators with greater expertise, but potential conflicts of interest must be carefully handled.
The European Parliament’s rapporteur is meeting stiff opposition to his idea of excluding market-making activities from bank structural reform.
Executives who live with uncertainty should resist the fallacy of arithmetic precision when making investment decisions, says Georgios Samakovitis of the University of Greenwich.
A sweeping overhaul to EU rules on bond market transparency could aggravate a liquidity shortage in secondary trading.
Global Risk Regulator
Most popular content
- Could fixing the old crisis make the next crisis more painful?
- How reform has revamped Mexico's banking market
- The Banker Top 500 banking brands 2015 Global Press release: For immediate release
- The top five banks in Japan
- The Banker Top 1000 World Banks 2014 rankings - UK Press release: For immediate release
Most popular video
- Top 1000 World Banks 2014 results
- Chapter 1 of 4: Integrating risk and finance; Data management
- Transaction Bankers: BAML's Kevin Phalen
- Interview with Ron Caton, americas head, global financial institutions, Wells Fargo - View from IADB 2015
- Interview with Jingdong Hua, vice president and treasurer, IFC - View from IADB 2015